Make your own Custom Bags with Lay Flat Tubing and a Heat Sealer!
WHAT IS LAYFLAT TUBING?
Polythene Layflat tubing (usually referred to as just “Layflat” or “LFT”) is a continuous, seamless tube of polythene.
Layflat tubing enables you to quickly create custom length bags or protective sleeves in the perfect size to protect and package your goods.
Our Layflat tubing comes in a variety of sizes in two grades of polythene.
- 250 gauge LFT comes in widths from 2” to 36”
- 500 gauge LFT comes in widths from 2” to 24”
HOW DO I CHOOSE THE RIGHT SIZE OF LAYFLAT TUBING?
Choosing the right size of Layflat for your needs is important, especially when using it to package circular or tubular items.
The measurements you will find on our website or catalogue states the width of tubing when laid flat. For example a roll width of 10” would not fit a 10” diameter tube so the correct measurements need to be calculated to ensure you buy the correct size.
To calculate the required size for a 10” diameter tube follow the following simple steps:
- Calculate the Layflat circumference. To do this you firstly take the diameter of your pipe- 10” and multiply it by 3.142. This comes to 31.42”
- To get the Layflat width you should order, you should half this measurement – 15.72” for this example.
- This means that for a 10” tube you will need to purchase 18” wide Layflat tubing as 15” will be too small and 18″ is the next size up.
IS LAYFLAT TUBING WATERTIGHT?
YES – If you are planning to make bags which will be filled for short periods then yes, they will be watertight. We recommend using heavy duty or double welds applied with a Heat-Sealer to protect against water and moisture.
ANTI-STATIC LAYFLAT TUBING
Anti-static LFT is designed to help prevent the build-up of static electricity when two layers of packaging rub together. Our Anti-static Layflat Tubing comes in
- 6” and 12” roll widths,
- 150mtr roll length
- 250 gauge polythene and
- is identified with a pink tint.
CAN I FREEZE LAYFLAT TUBING?
YES – polythene is temperature stable in a domestic freezer. Commercial freezers tend to generate very low temperatures in a short period of time and may cause the polythene to crack.
HOW IS LAYFLAT TUBING SEALED TO FORM A “BAG”?
You can close Layflat by all the same methods as any polythene bag. The most popular way to seal Layflat Tubing is to use a Heat-Sealer. Some customers tape the ends, some use a stapler – you can even tighten cable ties around the ends!
THE PROCESS OF HEAT-SEALING
Have a look at the video below demonstrating one of our industry-leading S-Type Heat-Sealers from Optimax:
THE BENEFITS OF HEAT-SEALERS
- Easy to use
- Quick and effortless as the sealing bar heats instantly
- Safe to operate as none of the components on the gadget are hot at all times
- Creates an airtight enclosed package
- Smarter, cleaner, stronger seals thanks to the use of aluminium for a quick cooling process
The TLD40 Layflat Tubing Dispenser
- Make storing and using your Layflat Tubing a hassle-free task with our TLD40 Layflat Tubing Dispenser.
- With its telescopic tubular steel frame the Layflat Tubing dispenser is adjustable from 400-1050mm to fit all our roll widths and capable of holding up to 40kg.
Chat to a member of our sales team about how Layflat Tubing could help you pack, protect and sell you goods more effectively.
RoI customers call 01 866 0136 and NI customers can call 028 4175 4977. The team are also available via email: email@example.com